Version 1.4.9 of our Perfmatters WordPress plugin was released on March 18, 2020.
- Performance update to Script Manager form submission function which should help dramatically reduce the footprint when saving script configurations.
- Removed the Current URL option in the Script Manager when loaded on URLs without a valid post ID. (ex. dynamically generated archive templates)
- Added plugin settings page header with links to Contact and Support.
- Minor styling fixes in plugin settings UI.
- Updated Russian (ru_RU) translation files.
We’ve been wanting to update the Script Manager form submission process for a while now. Originally, we designed the Script Manager with a pretty straight forward PHP form. That form would build and post an array of all the input elements in the form and their values, even if they were empty. This allowed us to easily update and store the necessary configuration for what scripts needed to be disabled or enabled in certain areas.
Over time, however, as we’ve added more and more functionality to our Script Manager, the form has grown in size and many more input options have been added. This meant that the array of posted input values became larger as well and for sites with a lot of scripts, this lead to PHP hitting some server limits which would then need to be adjusted for the Script Manager to be able to save and process the form data correctly.
In this update, we have entirely rewritten the form submission process for the Script Manager. Now, we only post the inputs and values that have been updated. And with some additional logic in our updater function, we can keep using the same format and same UI that we have worked on over the past few years, but with a dramatically smaller amount of data that is posted to the server.
We still have lots of plans for improving the Script Manager and adding additional features, but we think that these optimization improvements we are launching today will help provide a more stable and solid foundation to continue building on!